- Definition essays explain the meaning of a word, term, or concept.
- Classification essays break down a subject or idea into categories and groups.
- Compare & Contrast essays describe the similarities and differences between two or more people, places, or things.
- Cause & Effect essays delve into the reasons that cause something and then discuss its results or effects.
- “How to” essays explain a procedure, step-by-step process, or how to do something.
- Does my essay give an unbiased analysis that unfolds logically?
- Are my facts and examples relevant?
- Do I use effective transitions between sentences and paragraphs?
- Does my conclusion communicate the value and meaning of the thesis and key supporting ideas?
If your essay is still missing the mark, take another look at your thesis statement. A solid thesis statement leads to a solid essay.